August 31, 2009

Information constipation

bougainvillea, La Ceiba, Honduras

I have so much information coming in but feel very frustrated with what is coming out in the form of blog articles for you readers. Information constipation!

I remember when we got home internet service after four years without. I searched some of the major US online news sources for stories about Honduras and all I could find were stories of the prison fires and Hurricane Mitch from 1998. That has certainly changed.

Now everyone knows everything (they think) about Honduras and report everything (that they think they know) as fact. Eventually, if it is repeated enough times, even the most outrageous claims become accepted as fact, even by WORLD GOVERNMENTS (!), a phenomenon that the disinformers not only count on but work at very hard.

Last Wednesday I was thinking that if only the world would stand still for a couple of days, I could catch up. Instead, the opposite happened. The world continued but my internet connection went out for three days. Thankfully, we get the paper version of La Prensa so I wasn't completely out of touch.

The connection then came back for a day, not even long enough to get through 400 emails and dozens of news articles, and then it went out again for several hours, putting me even more hopelessly behind. Today it was in and out all morning, and mostly out all afternoon. Aaargh!

I want to thank all of you who have sent information, links, documents, and kind words. I read everything and apologize that I haven't always had the time to thank everyone individually. I also apologize to those of you who wrote with questions that I just haven't been able to reply to.

Someday the world will go back to ignoring Honduras except for hurricanes and earthquakes and I will get back to writing about more mundane things about life in Honduras. In the meantime, I have to do what I believe is right, and that is do what I can to try to combat the serious disinformation campaign against Honduras.



"One should either write ruthlessly what one believes to be the truth, or else shut up." -- Arthur Koestler

Hat tip to Polliwog's Poliblog for the quote.
Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...