April 18, 2008

A hrmp blwtrq crbrwd Motmot

Forgive the mumbling above, please.

This morning I woke up about 6:30. I was trying to go back to sleep when I heard a strange bird calling. The sound wasn't so strange, but the fact that it sounded so close was. I jumped up to look out the window.
In my half asleep state, this is what I saw:


I ran downstairs to grab the camera and ran back upstairs, hoping that the dogs wouldn't start barking. I took a quick photo through the screen as a backup and then tried ever so slowly and quietly to open the screen a tiny bit to get a better photo. Nope! He heard me and flew away.


Here is my photo:




No amount of editing could do anything with it. You'll just have to take my word that this bird is marked with brilliant, almost fluorescent turquoise feathers. The body was a lovely green with some brown in it.


The photo is so bad, along with my memory for visual details, that I'm not sure if it was the Turquoise-browed Motmot (Eumomota s. superciliosa, number 4 in the first photo) or the Blue-crowned Motmot (Momotus momota, number 5a and 5b) − hence the mumbling in the article title. Based on my bird guide, I'm leaning toward the Turquoise-browed Motmot because I had a distinct impression of lots of vivid turquoise.

Daniel has some nice Motmot photos on Hondubirding which got me really confused because my bird book shows the Turquoise-browed Motmot has a turquoise tail and the Blue-crowned Motmot has a brown tail.

Similar confusion resulted from looking at Flickr photos. In any case, these beautiful shots of the Turquoise-browed and Blue-crowned Motmots are worth looking at even though they make me so ashamed of my photo.

Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...