May 24, 2007

Caution: Tater Tot crossing

Tater tot crossing sign, Roatán, Honduras

Readers Jamila and Suzy sent this photo taken on the island of Roatán, Honduras. Can someone tell me if that boy's body is riddled with bullet holes or is that just rust?

I don't remember seeing a school zone sign here in La Ceiba or anywhere else in Honduras so I don't know if this is a standard Honduran sign or if it is a special sign used only outside schools for American students. After looking at the larger of the two tater tots*, I'm also not sure if the sign is to keep the chubby American kids safe or is similar to the cattle crossing signs and is posted as a warning to prevent auto damage. ;-)

Sorry, sorry, sorry! I couldn't resist. I'm sure that many people spent years and years fighting the bureaucracy to get this school crossing sign posted and I sincerely hope that it is helping to keep the children safe.



*Tater tots: For the native Spanish-speakers, tater tots are grated potatoes shaped into little 1 inch balls and
fried , similar to the hashed browned potatoes that Burger King sells at breakfast, but in a more rounded shape. Tot is a nickname for small children, tater is a slang word for potatoes, hence: tater tots.


Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...