December 11, 2006

What's blooming in my garden, December 11

Alpinia purpurata (Red ginger) gives a Christmasy look to a tropical garden

What is blooming in La Ceiba, Honduras, in December? Well, pretty much everything.

I've really slacked off on the gardening side of this blog, so I thought I would show a few pictures of what is going on right now. There isn't much point in doing this every month, because it is always the same!

Allamanda cathartica 'Hendersonii,' common name Allamanda, Yellow Trumpet or Golden Trumpet. This vine has been in constant bloom, without fertilizers, since I planted it almost two years ago. I wrote more about Allamanda here.

Celosia argentea, v. Cristata after the rain. This plant can't hope to hold up its heavy blooms, especially in a tropical rainstorm. Even laying down, though, the flowers make a spectacular show. This plants reseeds prolifically around the garden. I wrote more about this and another Celosia in Some of my filler plants, for now.


Hibiscus rosa-sinensis also has a Christmasy look. I don't know the name of this variegated variety. It may be Snowflake or Snow Queen.



Clerodendrum thomsonae , common name Bleeding Heart, blooms for a long period, goes to seed, and then blooms again, never going dormant here in the tropics.


And finally, Carica Papaya, still producing fruit. We need to get the ladder out and pick these before the birds get them. They may be picked when they just begin to turn yellow. There is more about papayas in the article referenced above, Some of my filler plants, for now.
Newer posts Older posts
Home

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...